Something Stinks!

Wonderfuls,

So it looks like you got one letter from me in exchange for two packages from you guys! I LOVED getting the packages. Made me so happy! Sister D absolutely loves her new set of tiny scriptures and her flashlight. Early Christmas! Although I still haven't opened the wrapped Christmas presents. She keeps telling everyone that "buot gd ang ginikanan nya" (her parents are really nice.) I made a special cover for the old and new testaments with the D&C and POGP. I am loving that I can carry around all standard works without my bad super huge and heavy!

What's the weirdest thing you've eaten lately? Last Monday Sister D bought "turon." It was a deepfried banana with "langka" or jackfruit that was breaded and wrapped in a shanghai wrapper. I'm used to eating turon that is just plain banana. Jackfruit is famous. I've heard that it "smells like hell, tastes like heaven." But Sister D says that to her it smells good.

Speaking of smells, Sister D and Sister T were eating "bago-on" (Tagalog) or tinabal (Ilonggo), which is a shrimp paste that is fermented....gross. I've eaten shimp paste before but it was mixed with spicyness and was good. But I wasn't interested in mixing it with the shanghai that we were eating (all 4 of us in the apartment eat together everyday for lunch, by the way. We take turns cooking). But I somehow didn't notice at the time that they were eating "bago-on." Then Sister R says, (I'll just translate the whole conversation to save Adam the trouble. But just know the conversation was in Ilonggo.)

"Something stinks!"
"Hm? maybe it's me." - Sister T
"No, it smells like rotten garbage...."

We resumed our meal. Then sister T got up and went to the fridge for a drink and then came back. I got a whiff of something rotten too.

"Mm! Something stinks." -me
"Maybe it's this" - Sister D, picking up the bago-on. She passed it to Sister R who smelled it. Her nose immediately wrinkled up
"Yup! It's that."
"That smells good!" -Sister T
"The two americans think that is smells bad. The two filipinos think it smells good." -me

We laughed, but Sister T and Sister D told us that there are things that americans like that they definitely do not like: For example, the gingerbread cookies that you sent in the mail, Mom. They didn't like, but I definitely did! And also the mexican salsa that Sister R bought last week. They did not enjoy at all. In any case, our taste buds/taste preferences are very different.

Papi: I did hear about Obama coming to the Philippines from one of our tricycle drivers. But for the most part people are usually either uninformed or unaware.

What type of music do people play? I hear music that is popular in the states, but I also hear a lot of music that is English, but I've never heard it before. There is also Tagalog music, which I appreciate because I don't understand the words. It's not as much of a distraction if you can't understand it. But the other day I heard a song that was an Ilonggo rap song! It actually sounded really cool! Not very common, probably. Most of the music here, if it's not English, it's Tagalog.


We actually went to Patag earlier today! We got permission to go hiking there. It is a nice little hike with a few waterfalls. Super fun actually.

Tomorrow is Zone Conference! I am super excited! I love trainings.

I just included a photo of Sister D and me at the falls. Hopefully it will send. I really love Sister D! She is the BEST!

Love you all! Sorry I didn't really add anything spiritual, but I know that the gospel is true!!

Sister Marriott

Comments

Popular Posts