What is that stink??

Dear Mom,

Sorry about earlier, you were probably asleep, but all of the computers in the computer lab shut down so we didn't get to finish. But we're back after our shopping, etc. We went to Bacolod today to do our shopping. It's so much hotter in Bacolod. I'm sweating so much.

How was General Conference?? I don't get to see it until this weekend. But we saw Women's Conference on Saturday! It was so good.
I have so much to tell you but so little time! Did you get the pictures I forwarded to you? I took some this week, but since I'm short on time I think I will send them next week.

Sister Ortiz and I listened to a talk this week by Elder Holland at a CES Devotional called "Cast not ye away your confidence." It was really good, of course. It talked about how before and after spiritual experiences, Satan often tries to discourage us. How true that is! I have seen that so many times on my mission even in the short amount of time that I have been out.

We have this wonderful family, the Pupa family, who are all baptized except the dad and one of the sons. The oldest girl still at home is very active, but none of the rest of the family are. The dad/tatay wasn't baptized mostly because he used to work so much, but now he can't work because he's sick. He has intestinal problems and has had surgery. But now he has a plastic bag thing at his side. Anyway, in his sickness, he has been reading the Book of Mormon! He is currently in Moroni!! He is very receptive.

I have so much respect for people who listen to me in my broken Ilonggo. I know it's hard for them to listen to me. But Brother Pupa is one of those people. He listens intently whenever we talk.
We are also teaching a woman named Sister Faye. She is so ready to hear the gospel! We first met her at church! Her mom is a member, and she lives in the same compound as the stake president! Basically the ideal support group. She is so great! When we gave her a Book of Mormon on our second visit to her, she was telling us about how she wondering where to get one and was going to maybe ask the stake president for one. She's already started reading!

Miracles happen.

We also had a lot of less actives come to church yesterday! Granted it was Easter. But still!

Tell you about the area? Bago is a relatively small city compared to Bacolod, but it is a city. Our area is big though, so we have plenty of rice/suger cane field areas in our area. I will hopefully send you pictures next week because I took some this week with you in mind. We travel everywhere by tricycle, which is a motorcycle with a car attached to it. They're great.

I have been paying more attention to the food since you asked about it last week. We were fed last week five days in a row! Like full on meals. A lot of graduations are happening now, and Philippinos love to throw parties! There is lechon at every one of the parties. It's a full pig that has been rotisseried. The skin is really...chewy yet well done. But they don't flavor it at all so it's pretty bland. Not even salt. But they love it. And they love fat. That's probably my biggest complaint here. Fat and bones. If it comes from an animal, they throw it in the pot. :)

I wanted to tell you about jackfruit and injun mangos. Jackfruit is green and has little bump things on the outside. I walked into the balay/outside yard of Sister Angela Lapatan, one of our investigators, and thought, What is that stink?? Something is so rotten. Well, of course I was offered some. It smelled so rotten. It was good, minus the rotten aftertaste. Apparently, it is like a vegetable when it isn't ripe, but a fruit after it is ripe. Hence, jackfruit. But it's not ripe until it's rotten.

Injun mangos are smaller than regular mangos and best when not ripe. They taste like very green apples with a hint of pine needles. You know the pine tree in the front yard in WA that we cut down? I remember trying the needles and they were a little sour, but yet mostly wintergreeny. Yup. That's injun mangos except the opposite. Mostly sour with a little pine needle taste. Haha!

Ama na sya. I love you all!

Love,
Sister Marriott

Comments

Popular Posts