Swiss chocolate is lovely!

Dear everyone,

This has been a really crazy week! First on Tuesday I left the MTC for Lyon! It was really sad to leave everyone there. We traveled as a district except the elder going to the Paris. The flight was only a couple hours long. I'm really not sure what to tell you! So getting to Lyon we met up with missionaries coming from the Provo MTC. I felt bad for them because they seemed really jet lagged. Then we met President and Sister Brown. They are so warm and welcoming! So loving. I just love them. Then we went to the office for lunch and from there to a doctor’s office to get a radio (x-ray) to make sure we don't have tuberculosis. Then we went to the mission home. Only the American missionaries had to get an x-ray so meeting up with the rest of the district at the mission home felt like coming home to family. I missed them even though it was just a couple hours. I love my MTC district! The next day we had a conference for bleues. (they says bleues instead of greenie here) after that we got our trainers! It was so sad to leave my district.

My trainer was Sœur B. She's from Paris, France. She spoke English as well as French, but her French was nice and slow. She had four bleues before me so I think she had learned to talk clearly and slowly. And my area is Geneva, Switzerland! I'm in an English ward too! To tell the truth I was so surprised to get this area. First that it's in Switzerland and second that is an English ward. A lot of Americans never get to go to Switzerland. We can only stay here for two transfers. It's possible that I'll be able to move just across the border to France in order to keep the area, but that's a while down the road. 

So we left the day after the bleues conference (because of legality work) to Geneva. It was a bit stressful because our train arrived at our destination late which threw off our plan, but it all turned out. So I'm loving in the basement of the old mission home. We live with one other companionship. They are the sisters for the Geneva Spanish ward. These few days were interesting because Sœur B was going through a rough patch so I got my companion switched for what we thought was temporarily. But eventually now it's permanent. I have a new trainer as of Saturday. Her name is Sœur S. She is really great! Very positive. There are six companionships here in Genève, a sister and an elder companionship for the three wards Spanish, English, and French.

So yesterday we had a long weekly planning to figure out all of our amis (investigators). We're both of us new to this area so we had a lot to learn. Guess what! We have an ami named R. She's from the Philippines! I thought of Tessa as soon as I saw that. Also we have another ami named A. Those two came to church yesterday. This week has been a bit confusing. We weren't able to do a whole lot of teaching because of the situation with companions. Hopefully this week is better.

Today was P-day. We went around Geneva, toured two cathedrals, and went across the Lac de Genève and saw the fountain! I really love Geneva. It's beautiful. The people here are very diverse. Geneva is an international city. Oh! I saw the UN too! I think we might tour it one P day.

Okay a few random things: everyone, everyone smokes here. It's awful. That's why we had to get a chest X-ray I think. The French government doesn't want any lung diseases coming when everyone smokes. Everyone wears scarves, men and women. Bisous are a real thing! When French people greet each other they really do kiss each other on the cheek. Here in Switzerland it's three times. People really do love baguettes. You know the stereotypical picture of a French person with the baguette in their bag or under their arm? So real. I love seeing it! There are bakeries all over the place. Also Swiss chocolate is lovely! Living here is pretty expensive. Even more expensive than in France. We take public transit all the time. Buses, trains, and trams.

Thank you so much for your emails! I love you!

Sœur Marriott


















Comments

Popular Posts