Voilà!

Dear family and friends,

This week we had a challenge as a mission to get in touch with all of the recent converts and try to teach them how to find a name to take to the temple. It was to "turn the hearts of the fathers to the children and the children to the fathers." We tried to contact a lot of converts but most of them didn't work out. We did meet with a family of five and helped them find a name and then the next Sunday they came to church! That was really great!

One of the highlights of my week was meeting a less active member of the French ward. She is so sweet! I guess until around three weeks ago she was kind of off the map. No one could get in touch with her. I'm not sure how she was found again, but Sœur W said it's a miracle. She has a problem with her legs so she has a hard time walking and getting to church. We went to try to visit her, and we met her just as she was leaving to do grocery shopping! That was another miracle! We got to visit with her for a while and get to know her. Her family is from Italy, which didn't surprise me. Every Italian I've met her in the mission had been so nice and so friendly. She says she has been reading The Book of Mormon and sharing the gospel with her neighbours. We taught her a little bit about the Sacrament and she said she would come to church the next day. It was wonderful! I'm really grateful we met her.

We got to meet with R again this week. We taught her about Jesus Christ and His role in the plan of salvation because we felt she hadn't understood it in the last lesson. She is the greatest! We talked about repentance and she asked questions that made you see that she was worried about making sure she knew how to make repentance work. At the end of the lesson she told us she wanted to get baptized the second week of March. It was so wonderful to see her progress on her own! Sadly we can only see her once a week because she works all the time, but we're praying we'll be able to finish the lessons in time for that date.

This week I have been really focusing on talking to people on transport. Buses, trams, and trains are the best times to talk to people. The thing is it's usually not very long. I am always really nervous starting a conversation. But when I get up the courage to talk to them it is the most satisfying feeling. Its best to start with a question I think. Usually I ask something about the stops or something. There was a really nice man I talk to on our way to a rendez vous. I asked him to help me learn a French idiom and he told me "il n'y a pas feu au lac" which is an expression specific to Switzerland. It means it's not urgent. He was really nice. I told him I was a missionary and why I was here and then sadly I had to get off the bus. Every day I'm getting better I hope. Also he told me I didn't have an American accent though which was really nice!

I have never relief on the Lord so much as I have learning to talk to people in transport. It's so outside of my comfort zone. But I know the Lord has been there for me over the last three weeks. I have felt him near me when I do well and when I do poorly. I have felt closer to him knowing that he's there and he knows how I feel as I struggle. I have also felt more strongly than ever the need to repent when I don't do as well as I could've or when I'm too lax about making an effort.

So today I made pizza for lunch. I made the dough in the morning but then the power went off. It wasn't really a big deal since we were leaving to do grocery shopping anyway. But when we got back it was still off so I couldn't finish the pizza. We did some other stuff for a while but we were getting hungry and we needed to leave so we decided to say a prayer to ask for the power to come back on. Honestly I wasn't sure if we should. I don't know, maybe it seemed a bit demanding. But we did and I put the pizza together. Just as I was finishing, the power came back on and we were able to cook it. I think it's best just to pray and if it's in the Lord's will he'll give it to you. And if it's not you'll just accept his will. Alma 37:36 tell us to pray over everything.


I wish I had more time to write as usual!

A couple stereotypes: people really do say “bon appétit.” Every French mangez vous I've been to they've said bon appétit! And my companion said she's had complete strangers say it to her when she was eating something. XD

A filler word in French is voilà. People say it all the time! It kind of completes a thought.

I love you!

Sœur Marriott

Comments

Popular Posts