Général Conference

Dear tout le monde,

This has been a wonderful, wonderful weekend. I loved conference so much. I think I'll start from earlier on in the week and then come back it though.

Unfortunately the week didn't start off so well. I got sick again and this time I gave in from the beginning and just slept. It was frustrating to get sick so soon after getting better, but it has helped me to appreciate being well. :)

We also had the chance to teach a German man named S over Facebook this week. We kind of knew from the beginning he probably wouldn't be willing to change. He was a man Sœur S met on the bus who was atheist. He was curious to know why we believe the things we do. We gave him a lesson on the restoration but he wouldn't accept our invitation to pray openly admitting he didn't want to know. But he was very courteous and respectful of our beliefs. It was so sad though, wanting him to believe and come into the fold of the God but not really able to open his mind for him. I hope one day he will experience something that will bring him to the knowledge that God lives and loves him.

On Thursday my companion Sœur S had to go to Bèzier, France to do legality work for her visa because she's coming up on her year mark. We left our third companion in Geneva with the Spanish sœurs so that she could have rendez vous without us. We headed to Lyon on Thursday and then on Friday morning travelled the rest of the way to Bèzier. It was wonderful because we had a train ride all the way there and I got to see a lot of southern France! It is so beautiful! Bèzier is a gorgeous city. The legality didn't take very long and we got to explore whole we waited for our train ride back. I was just in awe of all the lovely apartment buildings. I tried to take pictures but they don't do them justice at all. We also came across an outside flower market. It was a lovely day. We got back to Geneva that evening.


On Saturday we had a really great day. We tried to pass a less active but we weren't able to find her address. It was disappointing, but then on the way back I saw this lady reading a cookbook at our bus stop and I knew immediately that I wanted to talk to her. She got on our bus and I sat next to her. I asked her if she liked cooking which started up a conversation. I told her I had tried out a few French recipes before coming on my mission. She immediately asked me which church I was a missionary for and I told her the name and she asked me if it was Catholic or protestant. I told her it was neither and was able to then tell her about the whole restoration. She listened so intently and helped me when I had troubles with my French. I got to ask about her beliefs and she told me she was originally Catholic but not she was looking for something else. I told her about conference and gave her our card and told her when our meetings are but she said she needed to think about it. Ever since then I have been praying she will find the desire to come to church. Unfortunately I didn't have enough time to get as far as I would have liked, but it was my best contact of my mission so far. It's difficult looking back and realising all the things I should've done better.

Now to the best part of the week! I loved général conference so much. When we were sitting in the first session during the opening hymn I realised that I felt like I was in the temple. There was the same environment or feeling in the room. And then the sustainings started and I realised why it felt to special. As I saw the first presidency and then the twelve apostles stand to sustain I felt a stong confirmation that they are truly called by God. They hold the keys of the power of God. I'm so grateful for the fullness of the gospel being on earth today. We would be so lost without it! But also my testimony of the prophet and his apostles is not based on powerful moments like that. I have a testimony from trying to follow the their instructions and seeing the blessings that have come and vise versa when I feel a loss of the Spirit when I haven't done as well in following. I have it from the little experiences that have accumulated over my lifetime so far.

I am so grateful for this weekend. We also got to have a meal with our Philippino members. They always make us food after our lessons with H and R who are both recent converts so we made them dinner to pay them back at least once. We made pizza and chocolate cookies. (The chocolate cookie recipe that mom got on her mission! I thought that was fun) It was such a fun time! We sang hymns with them and looking around I once again realised how much I love them! They are so wonderful and happy! It turned out that a lot of missionaries from our zone were there too because they needed to come to this church building to watch the sessions of conférence. It's hard to explain but it was such a happy experience.

I wish I could write more! I love you all so much!

Sœur Marriott 

Comments

Popular Posts