Raw Shrimps

Dear tout le monde,

This week has been really exciting!

At the beginning we had a soiree familiale with a couple named the Giacomins. They are from Portugal and Brazil. It was really great because they know and had invited an ami of the elders named Gabriel and our ami Emmeline to come over too. And also the elders. We had a spiritual thought about the Book of Mormon and then we ate dinner with them. Gabriel is from Peru but he speaks really wonderful French, and Emmeline is from La Reunion. It was a very nice evening and we got to know them all much better. Afterward, the elders said that Gabriel texted to say that he had really enjoyed it and he wanted to stay in contact with the missionaries! That made me really happy to hear because often times it's difficult to keep in touch with our amis.

The next day was a bit confusing. We had studies and everything in the morning as usually, then we went to try to pass less active members in Grasse. That afternoon we were planning on taking a train to go to Lyon for zone conference, but then we got a call from the office asking us to pick up the sister training leaders in Nice and drive all the way to Lyon. So it ended up that we took a five and a half hour road trip all the way to Lyon. It felt a little odd being a missionary and going on a road trip. But it was also extremely beautiful all of the scenery along the way. There were lots of vineyards, and mountains, and even occasional castles! I have a beautiful mission! That evening we arrived in Lyon around 20h and had to drop off our car at the office. Then we went to Confluence to stay the night.

Wednesday was a wonderful day. We had zone conference in the morning which was amazing but also bittersweet because it was the last time I will see President and Soeur Brown on the mission. I love them so much and I'm so grateful to have had them! President Brown talked about forever discipleship. He told the story of Peter, James, and John going back to their boats after the death of Jesus Christ and how when Christ reappeared to them, he essentially told them that it was just for that short period of time that he needed them as disciples, it was forever. So in the same way, our discipleship doesn't end after our missions. On the contrary, it is just the beginning. There was so much more, but I don't think I can describe it all. Afterward I had my interview with President Brown. All in all, I left the conference feeling so uplifted and encouraged. In a way it was like leaving the temple. But another wonderful thing was getting to see two of the elders from my MTC district. I loved the MTC! That evening we drove all of the way back home. It was also very beautiful, but it felt so long that we had been away from our sector!

On Thursday we had such an amazing miracle! We were going looking for a less active member named Keokham. We put in his address, but when we got there it wasn't right and nothing was as it should have been. We just decided to look through the sonneries on the buildings around there to see if we could find the name. So we looked on a few buildings until we found the name! But when we rang it wasn't him but they knew where he lived. We tried to follow their directions but we didn't arrive at finding it, so we decided to go back to their apartment and ring again, even though it had taken a lot of rings to get the directions. So we went back and asked them to pass the message that we had tried to pass him and asked if she was his sister. She said no, but she was his cousin! We felt like we should ask if we could pass by them sometime and they said yes! So we have a rendez vous set up with them for the coming Saturday! It's such a miracle! It was so wonderful!

The next evening there was a baptism for a little boy in the Saint Raphael ward for that family that I think I mentioned last week. They had invited 120 people to the baptism! There were so many people and they were mostly non members or inactive members! I was so impressed by how they were such great missionaries! The baptism was really wonderful. There isn't a font in Saint Raphael so he was baptized in a pool! The talks were amazing. One talked about how the Holy Ghost is kind of like a guide on a mountain trail. He's there to encourage us, pick us up if we fall, reassure us that we will be okay, and direct us when there are forks in the road. But if we choose to go against his direction, he can't keep going with us. He will never go against the will of Heavenly Father. But that's what repentance is for so that we can get back on the right path and keep going forward. I really liked that analogy. :)

The next day we had a service project in the Cannes ward where we got to do some gardening which was great! Then we went to a Tahitian family's house for lunch. And that's where my heading comes from. We helped her prepare the lunch. It was all great with cucumbers, lemon juice, coconut milk, rice etc. but then she put raw shrimp. I was thinking, we must cook it next, right? But we didn't! We ate it raw! Oh la la, it was difficult. I kept telling myself, It's okay, it's okay. Just think of it like a cucumber. But goodness, it was squishy and gray! I asked her for the recipe afterward haha. I'll have to make it when I get home! ;) I think I'll just cook the shrimp........ But afterward we shared a thought with them, but it was kind of sad, because they are both less active, but she went on a mission to Canada. I think it really shows how fragile a testimony. It has to be nourished to stay alive. Just like we have physical nourishment we have to have spiritual nourishment. What can ever be more important than living the gospel? Our lives now affect the rest of eternity!

Afterward we had a soiree familiale in the Cannes ward about missionary work. There was an amazing story told there but I think it will have to be saved for when I get home. :) I wrote it in my journal.

We went to the Saint Raphael ward on Sunday, but later that evening we went to the Cannes bishop's house and his wife told us about the sacrament meeting they had in that ward and she retold a really sweet story, but I think that one will have to wait until after my mission too. I love stories. They bring the gospel so much closer to you. :)

Today we went on another hike with our ami, Julie. She is so sweet! She invited us to go with her. The hike was in Saint Raphael and there was a beautiful view of the ocean with a little island that had a little chateau on it. I guess it's the castle that inspired one of the Tintin covers for le Chateau Noir or the Black Castle. I had forgotten about Tintin! I really, really hope she will be baptised. She has a very peaceful, gentle spirit about her and she has so much attention and questions during the lessons we've had with her.

I love you all so much! It's been another wonderful week! Have a great coming week! :)

Sœur Marriott

Comments

Popular Posts