The Best Weekend of My Life



Dear Everyone,

This week started out as most weeks do. We did studies, we passed addresses, we did porting, we contacted, we had lessons. The week started off well! But on Thursday night we headed to Bordeaux and stayed the night there. It was the beginning of our trip to Geneva for a conference with Elder Cook. The next morning at eight thirty we got on a huge bus with just the Bordeaux zone and traveled across France stopping in Toulouse and Montpellier picking up two other zones of missionaries and finishing in Lyon that evening around nine thirty. It's a wonderful thing to be surrounded by other missionaries! Everyone is more or less in the same stage in life, everyone with the same goal It was a long bus ride, but a wonderful day. We all talked and laughed. I got to see Sœur C (my wonderful MTC companion) and Elder P and Elder T (from my MTC district) which was so amazing! That evening we went to bed and got up at three thirty, got ready, took the metro back to the arranged pick-up for the bus and traveled the rest of the way to Geneva, my first ville in the mission!

It was so surreal going back to the Geneva chapel! Seeing the building and part of the city. The whole mission was there gathered in the chapel. We got there half an hour early, hurried to our seats and were instructed on how we would be organised to shake Elder Cook's hand, the choir ran through their song and then we waited nervous but quietly for Elder Cook. When we caught the first glimpse of him through the doors, the news spread like a wave and the room became silent except the soft prelude. Everyone sat up straight in their chairs. We all stood up as he walked in with his wife both with a happy smile on their faces. We also had Elder and Sister Johnson and Elder and Sister Balazar I believe it was. They were all so happy, so personable. We took a picture all together and one by one got to shake their hands. As we were waiting to go up, I was so excited! But that wasn't it! I felt an overwhelming love for them! For Elder Cook and his wife and the general authorities and their wives and for every person in that room. I felt my heart overflowing with love and joy. I can't explain everything about the meeting. The talks given by Sœur and President Giraud-Carrier, Elder and Sister Johnson, and Elder and Sister Balazar and Sister Cook were powerful. The all bore their testimonies of the Savior and of His church. They spoke of a mighty change of heart and doing not just our best but accomplishing what Lord commands no matter what, and having Christ in our countenances. Then Elder Cook spoke. His words and experiences were so profound. He spoke of not being concerned with rejection because the influence of sharing the gospel goes down through the generations for their good. He spoke of a mission companion who had been an example of sacrifice and bearing simple testimony. The he bore to us an indescribably powerful testimony of the Savior Jesus Christ. He then blessed us with beautiful blessings. I cannot fully describe to you the beauty of the experience. The Spirit filled the room and felt by everyone there. I felt it in the deepest corner of my heart. As the meeting ended, the pianist chose to play "Abide with me, Tis Eventide". I wanted so very much to keep the memory of the meeting with me. I wanted Christ to abide with me. The hymn explained my feelings perfectly. But the meeting did end.

We got to quickly say hello to missionaries from all over the mission. I got to see my whole MTC District and we took a photo! I got to see Sœur R for the first time! And Sœur S and Sœur E! It was so wonderful! But we couldn't stay long. Soon we were back on the bus heading back across France heading to the west. I sat and wrote down my feelings and reflected. I received so many answers to my prayers from that meeting. It was a fun bus ride home too! We traveled into the wee hours of the morning, finally returning to Bordeaux. The next morning we got up as usual and went to church in Bordeaux.

This was the best weekend of my life. There is not question. I saw the mercy of God in that meeting. From very little merit on my part he gave me an undeniable spiritual experience. I know that Christ lives. I know that his church has been restored on the earth with living prophets and apostles. I got to listen to one of them last Saturday. What a miraculous experience! I can't begin to describe it! And now my task is to better apply what I know. Where much is given, much is required. I know that I won't always be able to feel the Holy Ghost as strongly as I did then, but that does not diminish the reality of the experience. I am so very grateful to be here! To be on my mission sharing this good news, the only news! The news of the gospel of Jesus Christ. Of hope and joy and matchless love.

I love you all! Have a wonderful, beautiful week!

Sœur Marriott

Comments

Popular Posts